Monday, April 9, 2012

Fourth Lesson: Stalls, stalls, stalls, stalls, stalls...

Today started with me doing the pre-flight checklist on my own, as my instructor Kam looked on. The check list went smooth...I am starting to feel like I am getting the hang of this. Once the pre-flight check was done, we started the engine, and I got on the radio and requested permission to taxi. I have the asking for permission part down, but I am getting tripped up on how to respond to the directions given by ground control.

While taxiing to the holding spot, I felt like I was doing a much better job controlling the plane than I had previously. We did our pre-takeoff check, and then I requested permission to takeoff from the tower...something I was too afraid to do last time, and you know what...it wasn't so bad. I am making an effort to do as much as possible when Kam gives me the option...no fear!

Kam once again had me controlling the plane during take off. I found myself more nervous doing it this time around though...now that I know about stalls. When we reached the practice area, we did some more instrument practice under the hood. Its difficult, but I felt like I was finally doing okay by the end. 

Next Kam showed me a bunch of different stalls. We did accelerated stalls, trim stalls, cross controlled stalls, departure stalls, and approach to landing stalls. Thankfully none of them were as scary as the power off stalls that we did last week, although the accelerated stall was pretty intense...I could feel the skin of my face being pushed back by the G force as Kam tried to stall the airplane. Not to scary, although, Kam never did get the plane to actually stall...he said he didn't want to push it anymore than he had.

After stalls we did another engine out procedure, which is kind of fun. Kam put the throttle at idle, and said "the engine is out, what do you do?". I followed the check list, and then looked for a spot that I would want to land at. Its interesting...

That was it for today, so we headed back to the airport. I requested permission to land from the tower, and headed towards the airport. Kam let me control the airplane during final approach to the runway, and then took the controls for landing. The idea of landing a plane on my own scares the crap out of me! I wont worry about that yet though...I got enough of my plate. 

Today's lesson cost me $202.50: 1.4 hours on the Hobbs meter, equaling $126 for the airplane, and 1.7 hours of instruction equaling $76.50, well worth the price of admission as far as I am concerned. I may find myself nervously anticipating/ dreading each upcoming lesson, but I always leave the airport with a huge smile on my face. 

Photo by another KCRQ pilot

No comments:

Post a Comment