Monday, August 20, 2012

Lesson 19: Dual XC through LAX

This is attempt number two at taking the "new" C152 on a cross country through Bravo airspace. The plane has been out for maintenance since I joined the flight school, and is finally back in action...so its new to me. Last time I tried to fly it though, the left magneto was acting up, and the flight has to be aborted before we ever left the ground. This time though, the plane passed the run-up check.

Once we departed KCRQ, I climbed to my cruising altitude of 4,500 and opened my flight plan with San Diego Radio. Upon reaching my first checkpoint, the San Onofre power plant, I contacted SoCal approach for flight following. Not only did I want flight following, but my route had me going through class C airspace, so I needed to get in contact with them anyway, to allow me to continue my planned path. This time they allowed me to continue as planned through the class C airspace, where I had a Southwest Jet fly under me at about 1000 feet. 

We continued up the coast passing the checkpoints I had chosen, such as Dana Point, Newport Bay, and the Huntington Pier. Once we reached Huntington Pier it was time to intercept the SMO VOR 132 degree radial, which according to the LAX special VFR corridor, located on the LA Terminal Area Chart, would allow us to fly right over LAX.

Once through the VFR corridor, there was little time to contact SMO tower and begin our descent for landing. We had to overfly SMO and make a descending turn for right hand traffic. This was probably the most hectic portion of the XC, which resulted in me overlooking my checklist. We landed without incident however, and taxied back for takeoff. 

Taking off from SMO requires you follow their noise abatement procedures by over flying a gold course, and not making any turns until you reach the coastline. We needed to be at 3,500 feet to be able to fly back through the LAX VFR corridor, so we made a right climbing turn which had us overflying SMO at around 3,00 feet. We got to 3,500 just in time and overflew LAX again. Once through the corridor I contacted LGB tower and requested runway 25L. I have never been at this airport, but I knew it was complex, and they use LAHSO (land and hold short operations), which is exactly why my instructor had me landing here. The tower was very helpful, and I followed another airplane in for landing, which made finding my runway much easier. 

After taking off from LGB we were headed back home. I contacted SoCal approach again for flight following and clearance through class C, but this time they vectored me off my course. Once they told me to resume normal navigation, I made the mistake of not immediately getting back on my course that I had planned. It wasn't until my instructor yelled at me, that I intercepted my course, and was on track again. The rest of the flight went without incident, and we landed safely back at CRQ. 

The entire flight was 3.2 hours, which in dollars is $450. JEEZ! Flying is expensive isn't it? Next step for me is a solo cross country...stayed tuned for that.

the magenta line is my route to SMO, and the pink away from SMO

the view flying over LAX

KSMO - Santa Monica Airport

KLGB - Long Beach Airport

KCRQ - home sweet home





No comments:

Post a Comment