Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The written exam

Well today was the day I had been dreading since I started my training...well one of the days. Today was the day where I had to prove I knew something about flying, and being a pilot. Today was the day of the written exam.

I chose to skip the standard ground school, and instead used this syllabus (DOWNLOAD) and read the appropriate materials which related to whichever lesson I was currently on. Once I was serious about getting ready for the written exam, I started watching the King Flight School DVD's. I wish I had watched these DVD's earlier though, because they would have been a big help with the pre-solo exam. Along with the King Flight School DVD's I also checked out the Jeppesen DVD's, and the Sportys DVD, but I found the information from the King DVD's really stuck with me...I HIGHLY recommend them.

After watching the King Flight School DVD course. I purchased the ASA Private Pilot Test Prep book and answered all 1000 questions. It took about a week to accomplish, but I felt it was very valuable to be able to get a sneak peak at the actual questions and answers that would be asked on the test. Once the book was completed I felt confident to take the test  The only thing left to do, was to go into the flight school and prove to my instructor I was ready for the test. I did this by taking a few practice tests on their computer and showing him the results.

The day of the test went as follows: I showed up with my E6B, a protractor, my logbook, my ID and MONEY. The proctor had me fill out two forms with my personal information, then I showed him my logbook endorsement. The proctor had to call someone and relay my information to them, and once that was done it was time for me to sit down at the computer and take the test. The test looked very similar to the ASA computer practice test I had taken on the flight school's computer the week before. It was 60 questions and seemed to cover a little bit of everything...unlike the practice tests which could focus on one subject and leave out others. I used 90 of the 150 minutes allotted for the test. When I was done, I was shown my results, the questions I got wrong, and received a nice little letter proving I passed the test.

All I can say is...WHAT A RELIEF.

I passed!





No comments:

Post a Comment